The Scientific Review Group for the Social Sciences is chaired by Professor Sir Roderick Floud.
- Mr. Adrian Alsop (until May 2015)
Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) - United Kingdom
- Professor Daniel David
Babes-Bolyai University - Romania
- Professor Rainer Kattel
Tallinn University of Technology - Estonia
- Professor Lise Kjølsrød
University of Oslo - Norway
- Professor Pasqualina Perrig-Chiello
University of Bern - Switzerland
- Professor Alison Evelyn Woodward
Free University of Brussels (VUB) - Belgium
Bio-sketches for the chair and members
The ESF Rules of Procedure stipulate that the Scientific Review Group (SRG):
- will provide specialist advice and input on a wide range of ESF actions and currently running instruments by taking view of the scientific area for which it has responsibility;
- can be asked to assist in the evaluations and assessments and other special reviews requested by Member Organisations, approved by the Governing Council or the Chief Executive;
- will, wherever appropriate, work with other SRGs and Expert Boards and Committees in promoting multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary activities. To this end, the SRG shall ensure that there are good links and exchanges of information between it and the appropriate groups;
- will respond to requests for actions initiated by the ESF Assembly, Governing Council or Chief Executive;
- will use peer review as a key component of the decision making process.
The Scientific Review Group replaced the Standing Committee for the Social Sciences, which existed from 1974 to 2012. It will be in activity until the end of 2015.